Strategy and Competitive Advantages
The Wilson Sons strategy is to grow on the basis of our skills and existing assets while strengthening the businesses and looking for new opportunities, focusing on Brazil and Latin America. We continue to consolidate our position in all the segments in which we operate, maximising economies of scale and efficiency, quality and the range of services we provide to customers.
Our strategy comprises:
- Fulfilling capacity in our container terminals. In order to meet demand from domestic and international trade, we have expanded both container terminals since the beginning of the concessions. By maximising installed capacity utilisation, we are best able to continue increases in productivity and level of service to our clients with economies of scale. We will diligently pursue this objective. The early renewal of the Salvador terminal through to 2050 includes investments in quay extension and equipment to be installed in the coming years, further enhancing the terminal productivity. Additionally, we will evaluate new concessions and the development of new terminals, and their ability to provide a strong return on shareholders’ equity.
- Maximising capacity utilisation of our oil & gas support terminals (Brasco). Our bases in Niterói and Rio de Janeiro have a total capacity of eight berths, to provide logistics support for offshore vessels. With excellent access to the Campos and Santos petroleum basins, and close to the pre-salt region, Brasco is strategically positioned as one of the largest operators of offshore support terminals in Brazil. We continuously monitor the offshore exploration and production activities across the Brazilian coast to meet the demand for such services.
- Strengthening our position as the leading provider of towage services in Brazil. We will continue to modernise and expand our tugboat fleet in order to consistently provide high-quality services to our customers and consolidate our leading position in the Brazilian towage market. We also intend to contribute to enable the expansion of activities in the Brazilian ports, offering state-of-the-art vessels that are suitable for the operation of new classes of ships, as well as for the oil and gas industry. We regularly review our fleet deployment to optimise efficiency and to seek out new market niches where we may be able to provide additional services or expand our geographical footprint to new ports in Brazil.
- Maximising potential of our shipyard facilities through a mix of in-house and third-party vessel construction, repair, maintenance, conversion, and dry-docking services to meet the demands of local and international shipowners operating in Brazil.
- Solidifying our offshore support vessel services to oil and gas platforms. Using our knowledge and experience, we intend to continue to consolidate our activities maintaining our position amongst the leading suppliers of services to the offshore oil and gas industry in Brazil.
- Exploring new opportunities and strategies to provide the best and most complete set of services to our customers. We are always looking to provide innovative services to our customers, as well as to anticipate their needs. Through a solid nationwide footprint, we will continue our strategy of providing comprehensive logistics solutions to support domestic and international trade activities, as well as the oil and gas industry. We also seek to make our services more efficient and cost-effective, in order to maintain our strong customer base and strengthen our relationships.
- Increasing economies of scale and productivity, synergies and cost savings across our segments. We continuously seek to optimise our operations, productivity and reduce costs through synergies and knowledge exchange among our businesses and administrative areas. We will continue to be focused on integrating similar activities, especially in our branch offices, to achieve economies of scale and reduce costs wherever possible. We continually develop new strategies to improve our operations and explore new businesses.
- Health, Safety and the Environment (“HSE”) are part of our overall strategy of sustainable and ethical businesses. We continue to promote HSE best practices throughout the Group to achieve and maintain excellence in these areas.
Wilson Sons has consolidated differentials which distinguish its services amongst other market players and strengthens the Company’s business and value creation.
Strategically Located Assets
The Company is present in the main ports throughout the Brazilian coast, with the largest tugboat fleet in the country. Its container terminals are located in states of great economic importance – Rio Grande do Sul and Bahia. Its shipyards in the Port of Santos (SP) and support bases in Niterói and Rio de Janeiro are strategically positioned to support vessels for the oil and gas industry. Wilson Sons also distinguishes itself with its shipping agency coverage, offered across the most important ports in Brazil, with exclusive representatives in Europe, and its own office in China.
Portfolio of Services
The Company’s complete range of services strengthens its position as one of the largest integrated providers of port, maritime and logistics services in Brazil. The portfolio includes specialised solutions in the areas of port terminals, towage, logistics, shipping agency, offshore support vessels for the oil and gas industry, and shipbuilding.
Synergy of the Businesses
The complementary interaction between Wilson Sons business units is a key strategy for sustainable growth. Over a 100 clients are served by at least three businesses, representing 60% of the Company’s net revenue.
Commitment to Ethics, Governance and HSE
This commitment is expressed in the Company’s principles, resulting in practical actions that are part of day-to-day operations.
The solid image Wilson Sons enjoys in the market contributes to a close and long-term relationship with clients and other business partners. We are recognised and trusted by our stakeholders for the know-how acquired throughout our more than 180 years of delivering high quality service to the most demanding clients.
Human and Intellectual Capital
Our employees are committed to the quality of services delivered and are aligned with the values and principles that guide Wilson Sons vision. The personal and professional potential of each employee is maximised through holistic process of people management, which includes training and actions for continuous exchange of experiences, with the purpose of maintaining intellectual capital in constant evolution.
The Company was the first of its sector in Brazil to use azimuth propulsion engines on its tugboats, the first to win a public bid to operate a private container terminal in the country, as well as the first to receive certification of quality in the shipbuilding sector. The Company has long innovated with local producers to increase local content in the vessels it produces and in recognition won the award for the best shipyard for local content by Syndarma in 2013.