Strategy and Competitive Advantages
To grow on the basis of the Company’s skills and/or existing assets, strengthening the businesses and looking for new opportunities, focusing on Brazil and Latin America.
The Wilson Sons’ Strategy is to:
- Continue to consolidate our position in all the segments in which we operate, maximising economies of scale and efficiency, quality and the range of services we provide to customers.
- Fulfilling capacity in our expanded container terminals. In order to meet demand from domestic and international trade, we have expanded both container terminals since the beginning of the concessions. By maximising installed capacity utilisation, we are best able to continue increases in productivity and level of service to our clients with economies of scale. We will diligently pursue this objective. The early renewal of the Salvador terminal through to 2050 includes investments in quay extension and equipment to be installed in the coming years, further enhancing the terminal productivity. Additionally, we will evaluate new concessions and the development of new terminals, and their ability to provide a strong return on shareholders’ equity.
- Maximising capacity utilisation of our oil & gas support terminals (Brasco). Additional to our operations at Brasco Niterói, we have 500 metres of linear quay at the Brasco Rio base to provide logistics support for offshore vessels, with excellent access to the Campos and Santos petroleum basins. This expanded capacity positions Brasco as one of the largest operators of offshore support terminals in Brazil. We are continuously monitoring offshore operations across the Brazilian coast to meet the demand for such services.
- Strengthening our position as the leading provider of towage services in Brazil. We will continue to modernise and expand our tugboat fleet in order to consistently provide high-quality services to our customers and consolidate our leading position in the Brazilian towage market. We regularly review our fleet deployment to optimise efficiency and to seek out new market niches where we may be able to provide additional services or expand our geographical footprint to new ports in Brazil
- Maximising potential of our shipyard facilities through a mix of in-house and third-party vessel construction, repair, maintenance and dry-docking services to meet the demand of local and international shipowners operating in Brazil.
- Solidifying our offshore support vessel services to oil and gas platforms. Using our knowledge and experience, we intend to continue to consolidate our activities through the delivery of contracted vessels and maintain our position amongst the leading suppliers of services to the offshore oil and gas industry in Brazil.
- Exploring new opportunities and strategies to provide the best and most complete set of services to our customers. We are always looking to provide new and innovative services to our customers, and to anticipate their needs. We intend to continue our strategy with shipping companies in order to provide a complete set of domestic and international trade-related services across a nationwide network. We also seek to make these services more efficient and cost-effective, in order to maintain our strong customer base and strengthen our relationships.
- Increasing economies of scale and productivity, synergies and cost savings across our segments. We continuously seek to optimise our operations, productivity and reduce costs through synergies and knowledge exchange among our businesses and administrative areas. We are and will continue to be focused on integrating similar activities in order to realise savings in administrative and back-office areas, especially in our branch offices. We seek to achieve economies of scale and reduce costs wherever possible. We demand that our managers continually develop new strategies to improve our operations and explore new businesses.
- Health, Safety and the Environment are priorities for the execution of our overall strategy of sustainable and ethical businesses. We continue to offer programmes to promote safety best practices throughout the Group by training our staff, as well as fostering a safety-oriented environment and culture.
Wilson Sons has consolidated differentials which distinguish its services amongst other market players and strengthens the Company’s business. These differentials therefore help add value to the Company.
Strategically located assets.
The Company is present in Brazil’s main port terminals. The location of its shipyards in the Port of Santos (SP) and oil and gas support bases in Niterói and Rio de Janeiro, are strategically positioned to support vessels for the oil and gas market. Wilson Sons also distinguishes itself with its shipping agency coverage, offered across the most important ports in Brazil, with exclusive representatives in Europe and the United States, and its own office in Shanghai, China. The Company’s container terminals are located in states of great economic importance – Rio Grande do Sul and Bahia.
Portfolio of services.
The Company’s complete range of services strengthens its position as one of the largest operators in port terminals, logistics and maritime services in Brazil. The portfolio includes specialised solutions in the areas of port terminals, towage, logistics, shipping agency, offshore support vessels for the oil and gas industry, and shipbuilding.
Synergy of the businesses.
The complementary interaction between the business units is one of the keys to its sustainable growth. Evidence of this is that 70% of the Company´s top ten clients receive services from three or more business units of the Company.
Commitment to ethics, governance and HSE.
This commitment is expressed in the Company’s principles, resulting in practical actions that are part of day-to-day operations.
The solid image Wilson Sons enjoys in the market contributes to a close and long-term relationship with clients and other business partners. We are recognised and trusted for the know-how acquired throughout our more 180 years of delivering high-quality service to the most demanding clients.
Human and intellectual capital.
Our employees are committed to the quality of services delivered and are aligned with the values and principles that guide Wilson Sons’ vision. The personal and professional potential of each employee is maximised through holistic process of people management, which includes training and actions for continuous exchange of experiences, with the purpose of maintaining intellectual capital in constant evolution.
The Company was the first of its sector in Brazil to use azimuth propulsion on its tugboats, the first to operate in a publicly auctioned private container terminal in country, as well as the first Company to receive certification of quality in the shipbuilding sector. The Company has long innovated with local producers to increase local content in the vessels it produces and in recognition won the award for the best Shipyard for local content by Syndarma in 2013.